Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bunny, bunny........dust bunnies :)

"You sometimes see a woman who would have made a Joan of Arc in another century and climate, threshing herself to pieces over all the mean worry of housekeeping."
- Rudyard Kipling

Now that my legs are planted firmly on ground and I no longer have the luxury of being a visitor in my own house, it is time for reality to kick in :) The initial excitement of being home has now worn off and instead trepidation of what needs to be done around the house slowly crept in. I know my husband (Anna) must have been tidying the house before I arrived.......but his concept of cleaning is hiding everything out of sight :) I am fully aware of being ambushed with falling toys and clothes when I open any closet, but hey, I am grateful that he at least managed to keep the house still standing while I was away.

I stepped into the bathroom to notice the signs of grout on the bath tiles, the all telling signs that the cleaner had not been making his regular visits to the house. When I brought the subject up, I found that, after Callum, my regular clean-in guy had called in with a broken arm, no efforts had been made to follow up on his progress the last couple of months. I remember exacting a couple of promises from Anna before I left:

1) Thou shall not discontinue music lessons for Madhu ( our daughter)
2) Thou shall maintain the triweekly visits by the cleaner

Surprise, surprise!!! The commandments were broken pretty quickly and Anna was lucky to escape the spousal brimstone and fire seeing that I was conveniently away while it happened. There is no fun in showing your displeasure over skype, long distance wrath calls simply do not work for us :)

So on day 2, when all I wanted was to curl up and sleep under the excuse of jetlag, I was there scrubbing the tiles and floor of the shower and tidying up the rooms and closets. I received plenty of cooperation from the family and it was indeed fun to see dad and the kids exchanging jokes and having fun at the expense of mummy's fetish for cleanliness :) However I refrained from stepping into the kids toys room, that would need a major spring clean and it can wait till my battery is fully recharged.

As for now, it was a pleasure stepping inside clean rooms and bathrooms and above all a relief, knowing that I wont be starting a treasure hunt every time I wanted to lay my hands on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers