Friday, February 12, 2010

Free Dress Day at School........

"Behold, I do not give lectures or a little charity, When I give, I give myself."
- Walt Whitman

Today was a very exciting day for the girls at home :) It was free dress day at Madhu’s school which means for a gold coin donation, the students can opt for casual wear. It was even more exciting for me as this was the first fundraising event in the school and it was being done for ACT for kids, the charity that I support.

ACT for kids is a non-profit organisation that works towards prevention of child abuse and has helped thousands of children since its establishment 20 years ago. Every February, on Valentine's Day, this organisation conducts one of its fundraising campaigns under the name “Tatts and Tiara”. On this day, they encourage the community to take part in fundraising efforts and raise money for the charity. For the last couple of years, I have been an active participant in "Tatts and Tiara" and used to raise money by organising morning tea at my workplace. In addition to my wonderful colleagues (former) contributing towards this noble cause, the company also showed solid support by matching the employee contributions dollar for dollar.

However this year, the charity organisation decided to go low profile on "Tatts and Tiara" but still encouraged their supporters to continue their February campaigns. So I decided to approach the local school in raising awareness for "ACT for kids". I was extremely pleased at the reception I obtained at the school and more so when I found the Principal very forthcoming and supportive in doing something for the charity. The school term had just begun and so the student council was not yet formed for such events. However the Principal offered to nominate this charity and without much ado, put forth the newsletter announcing the free dress day.

Seeing the newsletter and the school billboard announcing the free dress day made my heart glow but what really warmed my spirits was actually seeing the hundreds of kids in their non-uniforms. I stood there watching the kids run around and I realised it does not take much effort to help the community or put smiles to people's faces. All it cost me was a few steps out of my normal school run, and a few extra words to put forth my case to the Principal and the charity now has a whole school of kids supporting them and I go back home content that I have made a difference in someone's life today.

Perhaps today's fundraising was just a drop in the ocean……but in the words of Mother Theresa, the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. My heartfelt gratitude to the local State School for their fundraising efforts this year.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing Suja. "Drop in the Ocean" - I really like the way you have closed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I am glad there are no plagiarism checks here :)) Don't remember from where I got that phrase, but once I went looking for that, then I saw the one from Mother Theresa.....it sounded so apt. Hey, you remember us seeing her in Pondy? Will never forget that incident....it was the day we received our grades for sem 3 and of course with my jumbled up results, no surprise I was so down.....we got off at Muthialpet and were about to cross the road, when we saw her entourage passing by and I believe we caught a glimpse of her. Well, my memory wants me to believe we did see her :)) will wait for corrections from you.....ha ha. It so lifted my spirits that day.....I still feel that warm glow when I think of that day or happen to read about her anywhere. Awesome soul....may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Followers